First cold week in Prague and the first snow where I live. Perfect day for hot soup but nothing too heavy.
- 1 Small Onion Diced
- 2 Small Carrots cut 1/8 Inch
- 2 Celery Stalks cut 1/8 inch
- 1 Fennel Root Cut in half, bulb diced, and top chopped including leaves
- 1 Tbl of Fennel Seeds, crushed and pulverized
- 6 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbl Lovage
- 1 Cup Chopped Baby Spinach
- 2 Chicken Bullion Cubes
- 1 Liter of Water
- 8 Cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Can of White Beans in Brine
Place your olive oil in a soup pot and heat on medium high. Add your carrots, celery, Crushed fennel seeds, garlic, onion and fennel root and cook until they begin to brown stirring frequently. When the pan begins to dry out add a 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir scraping the bottom of the pan. Then add your chicken, white beans with the brine, lovage, bay leaves, water and the rest of the bullion cubes. Bring to a boil and then add the spinach,let simmer for 20 minutes. Not much too it, but very good for the soul.